How it works
Stable helps a wide range of farming businesses insure themselves from volatile prices and costs. To make it simple, quick and affordable for everyone, it's all based on public indexes from Government organisations like the AHDB and DEFRA. We use these indexes to calculate a free and no obligation premium to protect your business and automatically replace any loss of income caused by volatile prices.
- Price Fall
- Cost Rise
Protect your farm from a Price Fall
- 1. Just tell us how much in litres, kilos or tonnes you wish to protect from a price fall, the index month and the index price you want protecting from.
- 2. Stable will generate a Premium for the total cost to protect you against this potential loss of income.
- 3. If the index price is lower in the month you selected, then you'll receive an automated payment to replace your lost income. If the index price stays high then you'll receive more for your farm produce, but you forfeit the premium, (as you would with car insurance when your car isn’t stolen). The cost of the premium is usually tax deductible for farmers.
Protect your business from a Cost Rise
- 1. Just tell us how much in litres, kilos or tonnes you wish to protect from a cost rise, the index month and the index price you want protecting from.
- 2. Stable will generate a quote for the total cost to protect you against this potential loss of income.
- 3. If the index price is higher in the month you selected, then you will receive an automated payment to replace your lost income. If the index price stays low, you'll pay less for your input, but you forfeit the premium, (as you would with insurance when your car isn’t stolen). The cost of the premium is usually tax deductible.
Stable is simple, affordable and designed with all the features you need to protect your farm from volatility
Simple to Use & Lower Risk
Our simple insurance solution is totally focussed on making life simple for busy farmers. Your maximum risk is the Premium you pay.
With Stable, there is no deposit or margin account needed and you can insure as little as 1 tonne or 10,000 litres of milk to see how it all works. It's affordable for every size of business.
For farmers, yield is now only half the risk
Good farmers are good risk managers. As an industry, farmers are brilliant at managing production risk with resistant varieties, good genetics and management skills. However, that’s increasingly only half the risk to a profitable farm. CAP changes and now Brexit have increased the exposure to volatile global commodity prices. This change means farmers also need to manage the price risk, that has such an enormous influence on the bottom line.
Our goal is to help your business move...
Research and Support
The initial research behind Stable was created by our founder as part of the prestigious Nuffield Farming Scholarship programme. It has now grown to become a collaboration between over 200 British farmers and buyers and some of the world’s foremost experts in Agri Risk Management & Finance. The initiative has also received invaluable support from academics at institutions including Harvard University, Liverpool’s Institute of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, the Royal Agricultural University’s Farm491, Lisbon University’s CropUp programme and the University of Wellington, New Zealand. We are very grateful for all their help in making the Stable initiative a reality.